Rustin and I went deer hunting last Saturday and I can honestly say it was one of the funnest days we have had in a long time. I love the opener of the deer hunt because Rustin and his Dad, Uncles, and cousins are all like giddy school girls.
Rustin's Dad insisted we be up at 4:30, but wouldnt you know it, we got there way before light and had to sit in the truck until we could see a little bit - so typical. Hurry up and wait. O-well I took the first of three little naps that day.
The weather couldnt have been more perfect. It was cool but just nice! The mountain was gorgeous and the company was great.
We stared at this hill for a couple of hours, while I ate jerky, starbursts, jolly ranchers and gummy worms.....and then I took another little nap.
Rustin let me hold the gun once in awhile so I could feel useful.
This is the real reason men hunt i think. You get to take several naps on the mountain - thats pretty sweet.



So that evening we hiked for awhile and split up from Dad and Allen. After awhile and seeing only a few does and fawns, we couldnt find anyone so we decided to sit down. We sat there for a bit and up on the hill about 150-200 yards in front of us, out walks a buck. It wasnt super big, maybe an 18 inch 4x4. It had a big body but Rustin thought he would pass it up. It kept standing there broad-side just begging to be shot and we were really tempted but finally decided to wait. A few minutes later we hear something coming from behind us. We see a deer jogging up behind us on the hillside but couldnt tell how big it was as it was running through the pines. We caught a enough of a glimpse to know that it was not one we should pass up. Rustin got ready and I told him when it would get to a clearing. There was a small clearing and as it jogged through, Rustin hit it in the left shoulder.....right shoulder? I cant remember...... course I wouldnt know if it was right or left if I was staring at it, ha. We werent sure if we hit it so we waited a minute til I couldnt stand it anymore and then ran over. It was seriously such a thrill! I wanted to jump up and down and scream "Yippy!" but rustin kept holding my arm and saying that if it wasnt dead that we didnt want to spook it so I had to stay under control. Well we found it and it was a very nice buck. I was so excited. It was the first time I have seen it happen in the mountains. Usually we just go to my parents alfalfa field, find a nice dead rest and pick which buck you want. Shoot it, pick it up with the tractor and a way you go. But this was so much more fun. It was seriously the perfect day - beautiful weather, gorgeous mountains, all the jerky and gummy worms I could eat, took 3 little naps, and came home with a nice buck. It was picture perfect.

1 comment:
That is awesome! I am so glad you guys got one in the mt. and a big one at that!
Post a Comment